Driving Under The Influence In Oklahoma
Oklahoma DUI Attorney
Driving under the influence in Oklahoma comes with serious consequences. You may have to pay heavy fines or to spend time in jail. If officers pulled you over for a DUI or a DWI, it pays to have an Oklahoma DUI attorney on your side.
Is it DUI or DWI?
It all comes down to your blood alcohol concentration, or BAC. The amount of alcohol in your blood determines whether you have a DUI or a DWI. Though in some states, these two charges can often be the same thing. Also, there are many substances that are intoxicating. Being charges with DUI doesn’t always mean alcohol was involved. Many prescription and street drugs can also result in DUI charges.
- If you have a BAC is .06 or .07, it’s considered driving while impaired (DWI).
- If your BAC is .08 or more, officers will charge you with a DUI (driving under the influence).
- BAC over .15 is aggravated DUI
- Even if you are NOT driving, but you are in control of your keys and in your car, you can be charged with APC (actual physical control), which is punished like a DUI.
DUI can be charged for driving under the influence of drugs too. It is not always DUI-alcohol. DUI-D is a lawful chagege, which can be charged anytime you have illegal drugs in your system or are driving under the influence of a legal drug that causes impairment or intoxication. The penalties are the same as a traditional DUI.
Penalties for DUI and DWI
The penalties for driving under the influence vary but can include everything from jail time to license suspension. DUI can also become a very expensive matter to handle. Not only will you have attorney fees, but also court costs, bail bond premiums, towing fees, the list goes on. The penalties get worse on second or more offenses, such as:
- Prison up to 10 years for DUI
- Fines up to $5,000 or more for DUI
- Jail time for up to 1 year for DWI
- Fines up to $1,000 for DWI
- Mandatory ignition interlock devices
- Suspended license for up to 3 years
Wyatt Law: Your Criminal Defense Lawyer
Whether you were driving under the influence in Oklahoma or charged with DWI, Wyatt Law can help with your case. Wyatt law has helped represent countless defendants on DUI cases in Oklahoma. Our criminal defense attorneys will do everything they can to help you move your life forward after being charged with DUI. Contact us to set up a consultation and to get professional representation.
*Note: Results may vary because each case must be decided on its own unique facts and the law applicable to that given case. You should not infer the likelihood of success on a given case based on past cases handled by this firm.